Welcome to Massachusetts - South of Boston/Plymouth
A wide variety of great events & entertainment are crammed into South of Boston/Plymouth!
The South of Boston / Plymouth region has many attractions of its own, along with the advantage of being just a step away from the very different delights of Boston, Cape Cod, and Providence, Rhode Island. Within the region itself, the story has to begin at Plymouth and Plymouth Rock (yes, it’s an actual rock at the town’s harbor), where the Mayflower landed in 1620. Plymouth is a delightful New England seaside town with an intimate harbor and good souvenir shopping; the Pilgrim Hall Museum is recommended for people interested in the arrival of Williams Bradford and his shipmates.
Also, don’t miss a trip to Plimoth Plantation. This Smithsonian Institution affiliate describes and demonstrates the history of the native Wampanoag and Colonial English peoples of 17th century Plymouth. Plimoth Plantation's four major exhibits include the Wampanoag home site, the 1627 English Village, and the Crafts Center, all at the Warren Avenue property, and the Mayflower II, a reproduction ship modeled after the 17th century sailing vessel that brought the colonists to Plymouth in 1620, on the Plymouth waterfront.
Another major city South of Boston is New Bedford, an old whaling capital, where children, families, and history buffs can learn about the tough, life-threatening whaling industry of the early 19th century at the New Bedford Whaling Museum. The city of Fall River is the place to visit Battleship Cove, where visitors can experience what it was like to serve on board a Navy warship in World War II. Fall River also has achieved some notoriety as the home of Lizzie Borden, who is said to have killed her parents in a sensational crime in 1892, and, in a more cheerful vein, the home of celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse.
Other entertainment venues include Comcast Center in Mansfield, which hosts world-class performances year-round. At Christmastime, people who love the lights and sparkle of the season should not miss a visit to the National Shrine to Our Lady of LaSallette in Attleboro, a drive-through display of more than 225,000 Christmas lights. We conclude with a mention of Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, home of the beloved New England Patriots professional football team, and Patriot Place which features shops, dining and entertainment venues.
Events - Find Out Where and When
- Vineyard Artisans Summer Craft Festival -- West Tisbury, MA
- Swinging the Lamp at Sandwich Glass -- Sandwich, MA
- King Richard's Faire -- Carver MA
- “Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” -- Boston, MA
- “A Picasso” at Theatre Workshop of Nantucket -- Nantucket, MA
- “Red” Theatre Workshop of Nantucket -- Nantucket, MA
- Housatonic Heritage Walks -- Berkshires, MA
- “Ding Dong, The Witch Is Dead!” with the Haunted Dinner Theater -- Salem, MA
- "33 Variations" -- Cotuit, MA
- Haunted Boston Ghost Tours -- Boston, MA
- Mike’s Maze -- Sunderland, MA
- Nantucket Fall Restaurant Week -- Nantucket, MA
- Nantucket Fall Restaurant Week -- Nantucket MA
- The New Black Eagles Jazz Band -- Woods Hole, MA