Welcome to Massachusetts - South of Boston/Plymouth
A wide variety of great events & entertainment are crammed into South of Boston/Plymouth!
The South of Boston / Plymouth region has many attractions of its own, along with the advantage of being just a step away from the very different delights of Boston, Cape Cod, and Providence, Rhode Island. Within the region itself, the story has to begin at Plymouth and Plymouth Rock (yes, it’s an actual rock at the town’s harbor), where the Mayflower landed in 1620. Plymouth is a delightful New England seaside town with an intimate harbor and good souvenir shopping; the Pilgrim Hall Museum is recommended for people interested in the arrival of Williams Bradford and his shipmates.
Also, don’t miss a trip to Plimoth Plantation. This Smithsonian Institution affiliate describes and demonstrates the history of the native Wampanoag and Colonial English peoples of 17th century Plymouth. Plimoth Plantation's four major exhibits include the Wampanoag home site, the 1627 English Village, and the Crafts Center, all at the Warren Avenue property, and the Mayflower II, a reproduction ship modeled after the 17th century sailing vessel that brought the colonists to Plymouth in 1620, on the Plymouth waterfront.
Another major city South of Boston is New Bedford, an old whaling capital, where children, families, and history buffs can learn about the tough, life-threatening whaling industry of the early 19th century at the New Bedford Whaling Museum. The city of Fall River is the place to visit Battleship Cove, where visitors can experience what it was like to serve on board a Navy warship in World War II. Fall River also has achieved some notoriety as the home of Lizzie Borden, who is said to have killed her parents in a sensational crime in 1892, and, in a more cheerful vein, the home of celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse.
Other entertainment venues include Comcast Center in Mansfield, which hosts world-class performances year-round. At Christmastime, people who love the lights and sparkle of the season should not miss a visit to the National Shrine to Our Lady of LaSallette in Attleboro, a drive-through display of more than 225,000 Christmas lights. We conclude with a mention of Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, home of the beloved New England Patriots professional football team, and Patriot Place which features shops, dining and entertainment venues.
Events - Find Out Where and When
- Brimfield Antique and Collectibles Shows 2014 -- Brimfield, MA
- The Unknown Hopper: Edward Hopper as Illustrator -- Stockbridge, MA
- Unknown Hopper Exhibit at the Norman Rockwell Museum -- Stockbridge MA
- Chilmark Summer Flea Market -- Chilmark on Martha's Vineyard, MA
- Vineyard Artisans Summer Craft Festival -- West Tisbury on Martha's Vineyard, MA
- Lowell Summer Music Series 2014 -- Lowell, MA
- “The Servant of Two Masters” ---- Lenox, MA
- “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” -- Lenox, MA
- Project Arts of Plymouth Summer Concert Series -- Plymouth, MA
- “Julius Caesar” -- -- Lenox, MA
- Edaville USA Summer Events -- Carver, MA
- Theater Festival -- Williamstown, MA
- Summer In the City Concert Series at Charlestown Navy Yard -- Charlestown, MA
- “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)” -- Lenox, MA
- TD Bank Summer Concert Series -- Yarmouth, Harwich, Hyannis, Chatham, Mashpee, Orleans, Dennis Port, Falmouth
- IMAX at New England Aquarium: “Island of Lemurs: Madagascar,” “Journey to the South Pacific,” “Great White Shark,” “Penguins” -- Boston, MA
- Harwich Port Musical Stroll 2014 -- Harwich, MA
- CircuScape Circus Performances -- Wellfleet, MA
- Summer Spectacular Family Series at Springfield Museums -- Springfield, MA
- “Oklahoma!“ -- Nantucket, MA
- “Romeo and Juliet” -- Lenox, MA
- Circus Smirkus Presents Anchors Away for Atlantis -- Great Barrington, Sandwich, Waltham, Northampton & Newbury, MA
- John Logan’s “Red” -- North Truro, MA
- "Perfect Wedding: An English Romantic Farce" -- Dennis, MA
- “Fool for Love” by Sam Shepard -- Williamstown, MA
- 2014 Patriots Training Camp -- Foxborough, MA
- My Sky, Junk Festival at the Boston Children’s Museum -- Boston, MA
- Jazz Before Sunset at the African Meeting House -- Nantucket, MA
- Swinging the Lamp at Sandwich Glass -- Sandwich, MA
- "Not Constantinople" -- Vineyard Haven, MA