Chatham Light at Chatham Harbor
Shore Road Chatham, MA 02633 Phone: 508-430-0628
Location: Chatham Harbor, southeast corner of Cape
The facility: This lighthouse is a U.S. Coast Guard station and an aid to navigation. The lighthouse and keeper’s house were built in 1808; it consisted of two lights to distinguish it from Highland Light in Truro. In November 1870 a nor’easter smashed the barrier beach and started a pattern of erosion that would later undermine 228 feet of land in front of the lighthouse. In 1877 two new lighthouses and a keeper’s house were built west of the road. Within the next four years, the earlier lighthouses toppled into the sea. In 1923, the north tower was moved to Nauset in Eastham to replace one of the Three Sisters lighthouses. During a nor'easter in October 1991 part of the overlook and parking lot washed away, but the overlook has been restored.